BECTU is committed to providing accessible services for everyone. Our website is one of our main communication tools for connecting members and for providing information about the union's work. We want to ensure that everyone can use it.
New media technologies are always developing and changing at a fast pace, however, we are committed to the following broad principles when developing our website:
- Following standards: BECTU’s websites should comply with accessibility standards in commissioning, editorial, design and coding. These standards include the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative.
- Ensure that it is designed for use with assistive technologies: our online media work well with technologies such as software page readers.
- Testing: we have undertaken User Acceptance Testing prior to launch and will continue to work with real users with different needs to ensure that any problems are identified and solutions developed to solve them.
- Innovating: constantly looking for innovative and new ways of making online media accessibl.
The accessibility guidelines we are committed to include:
- Using an easy to read web font type.
- Ability for users to control text sizes via browser.
- Ensuring suitable foreground and background colour contrast on text
- Using clear and simple grammar.
- Providing meaningful alternative text equivalents for pictures.
- Providing a straight forward and consistent site navigation.
- Ensuring the target of each link is clearly defined.
- Providing a sitemap.
- Using appropriate structural mark-up to maximise browser support.
- Ensuring all content and functionality is available to users without content style sheet (CSS), image and script support.
Although we are testing this site on an ongoing basis, it is your user experience which counts. Do contact us to report areas of difficulty or if you would like to comment generally.